The Desert is a biome composed mostly of Sand Blocks. Cacti and Waterleaf grow in this biome. Antlions, Vultures, and Mummies (hardmode) also spawn in the Desert. This biome has one mini-biome called the Oasis.
The Desert biome has a 1/10 chance to spawn a Desert Pyramid. The desert finally became a major biome because of its underground ego as of 18.104.22.168. This includes the Antlion Charger and Antlion Swarmer, both of which drop Antlion Mandibles.
In Hardmode, Pearlsand and Crimsand/Ebonsand will appear when The Hallow, The Crimson or The Corruption spread into a desert. These blocks spread Hallow/Crimson/Corruption to other sand blocks, eventually creating converted biomes such as a Hallowed or a Corrupt/Crimson Desert. The two Hardmode deserts are different in several ways from a normal desert:
- The background will change.
- Light or Dark Mummies spawn in the Hallowed and the Corrupt/Crimson Desert, respectively.
- Stylized Cacti grow, while not changing in function (they still drop the Cactus item when destroyed).
As of 22.214.171.124 there are 12 Desert-exclusive monsters found in this biome. The following enemies will spawn in the surface:
Along with those enemies found on the Surface, additional enemies were added to the Underground Desert as well:
- Antlion Charger
- Antlion Swarmer
- Tomb Crawler
- Sand Poacher (Hard Mode)
- Basilisk (Hard Mode)
- Dune Splicer (Hard Mode)
- Ghoul (Hard Mode)
- Lamia (Hard Mode)
- Oasis mini-biome added.
- Sandstorm weather occurrence added, with exclusive enemies and new soundtrack.
- Underground Desert added.
- New exclusive enemies introduced in the Desert biome.
- Desert has its own music track.
- Cacti no longer cause knockback making running through a desert less of a hassle.
- Deserts now spawn slightly further away from spawn.
- Surface Jungles have been enlarged and will override deserts. (requires new world)
- Sand no longer spawns within a certain distance of a spawn location. This should remove the chance of spawning in a desert with no wood to use.
- Added to the game.